Djibouti

Updated: Oct 2

Home> Countries> Africa> Djibouti






Country Name

Djibouti, officially the Republic of Djibouti.

Location

Djibouti is a country located in the Horn of Africa in East Africa.

It is bordered by Somalia in the south, Ethiopia in the south and west, Eritrea in the north, and the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden in the east. Across the Gulf of Aden lies Yemen.


Capital

Djibouti city.



The reason for naming the country

The country is named for its capital, the City of Djibouti.

Several theories and legends exist regarding the origin of Djibouti, varying based on ethnicity. One theory derives it from the Afar word gabouti, meaning "plate", possibly referring to the geographical features of the area. Another connects it to gabood, meaning "upland/plateau".

Djibouti could also mean "Land of Tehuti" or "Land of Thoth", after the Egyptian Moon God.


Flag

The Djibouti flag was adopted on June 27, 1977, the same day the country gained independence from France. The Djibouti flag consists of two equal-sized horizontal stripes of blue on the top and green on the bottom of the flag. A white horizontal isosceles triangle on the left of the Djibouti flag points to the middle. In the center of the triangle, there is a red five-pointed star. The white triangle stands for peace, The blue stripe represents the sea and sky and the green stripe symbolizes the earth, The red star stands for unity.




Language

Djibouti is a multilingual nation. There are two official languages in Djibouti: Arabic and French.

The Arabic language is the language that holds religious, cultural, and social importance in the country.

French, is also another official language of Djibouti and serves as the primary language of instruction in the schools and colleges of Djibouti.

The majority of local residents speak Somali and Afar as their first languages.




Religion

Djibouti's population is predominantly Muslim. Islam is observed by around 94% of the nation's population, whereas the remaining 6% of residents are Christian adherents.



Currency

Djiboutian franc (DJF).






Time Zone

+03:00 GMT.



Government Regime

Unitary dominant-party presidential republic.


Climate

The climate of Djibouti is a tropical desert on the coast and in the north, while it is semi-desert in the central-southern highlands. Along the coast, where the capital is located, it's hot all year round. In winter, from December to February, the temperature is high, around 29 °C (84 °F) during the day; the sun shines, the rains are rare, and the air is humid, but the sea breeze blows. Starting from March, the temperature gradually increases, and the heat becomes intense, especially in May, when the daytime temperatures are around 35 °C (95 °F); nights are warm too, and the humidity is still high. In June, the summer begins, characterized by extreme heat but with lower humidity, especially in June and July. Summer continues until September with really high temperatures, often exceeding 40 °C (104 °F), while at night, they remain around 30 °C (86 °F). On the coast, the sea breeze can lower the temperature in the afternoon, while increasing moisture. September is perhaps the worst month since the temperatures remain high, but the atmosphere returns to be quiet and the humidity from the sea makes the heat oppressive. In October, the heat continues to be sultry, but the temperatures decrease a bit and become similar to those of May.



International Phone Code

+253


Internet Code

.dj



Readers Also Read:


Quick Brief About Djibouti


Facts About Djibouti


Famous Food you should try in Djibouti


Famous Places to Visit in Djibouti


Customs, Traditions & Etiquette in Djibouti

أشهر الأكلات في جيبوتي


معلومات شيقة عن جيبوتي


نبذة عن جيبوتي


أشهر الأماكن السياحية في جيبوتي


عادات و ثقافة جيبوتي






4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All