Customs & Traditions in Algeria
Home> Countries> Africa> Algeria> Customs & Traditions
- Algerians tend to speak quite closely to each other. It's normal to keep an arm's length or less. In general, this space is larger when interacting with members of the opposite gender than when interacting with members of the same gender.
- Touching is acceptable if you know someone; otherwise, it is reserved for family and close friends.
- In public, it is common for people of the same gender to hold hands or walk arm in arm. Most countries, however, discourage public displays of affection between opposite sexes.
- Eye contact is a sign of respect and one should certainly make eye contact when being introduced. However, overly direct eye contact should be avoided.
- Being punctual in social situations is not as important as in business situations.