Home> Countries> Africa> The Gambia
00:00 / 04:59

Gambia

Country Name

The Gambia, officially the Republic of The Gambia.

Location

The Gambia is located in western Africa.

The Gambia is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, and Senegal to the north, east, and south.

gambia.png

The reason for naming the country 

The name "Gambia" is derived from the Mandinka term Kambra/Kambaa, meaning Gambia River

Capital 

Banjul.

Flag

This Gambian flag was adopted on February 18, 1965, the day it gained independence from Britain.

The flag of Gambia consists of five horizontal stripes

Red, Blue, and green stripes the red and the green stripes are equal

in width; the blue stripe is bordered on the top and bottom by

white stripes of equal width.

The red color represents the sun shining on the Gambia River and

the blue represents that river, which runs through the center of the country. The green symbolizes the land, forests, and agriculture and

the white stripes stand for unity, peace, and purity.

gambia-flag.jpg

Language 

English is the official language in the Gambia.

Other languages are MandinkaWolofFulaSererKrio, Jola, and other indigenous dialects.

Due to the country's geographical place,  french is also relatively widespread as much of countries in western Africa French is their official language.

Religion

The majority of the Gambia’s population are Muslim, Muslims account for about 90% of the national population, while the remaining 10% practice other religions or are non-believers.

The majority of the Muslims in the Gambia adhere to Sunni laws and traditions. Most Muslims in the Gambia follow the Maliki school  Also, a Shiite Muslim community exists mainly from Lebanese and other  Arab immigrants to the region.

Currency

Dalasi (GMD)

Dalasi (GMD).jpg

Time zone​

+00:00 GMT

Government Regime

Unitary presidential republic.

Climate

In the Gambia, a small country overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and crossed by the river of the same name, the climate is tropical, hot all year round, with a dry season from November to May, and a rainy season from June to mid-October due to the African monsoon.
Along the coast, where Banjul, the capital, is located, the climate is tempered by the ocean, while in the interior, the heat is more intense.

In winter, in December and January, it's hot during the day, with highs around 32/34 °C (90/93 °F) on the coast and 32/34 °C (93/97 °F) in inland areas, but with peaks of 38/40 °C (100/104 °F) even on the coast. However, the air is dry and nights are cool. The wind blowing from the desert, the Harmattan, can veil the sun and lift dust.
Already in February, the temperature begins to increase in inland areas, reaching 37/40 °C (99/104 °F) from March to May, while along the coast, the heat is less intense, but moisture is higher. So, the spring (which, as regards the temperature, should be considered as the real summer) is a very hot season everywhere.
With the arrival of the rains, the temperature decreases, dropping to about 30 °C (86 °F) during the day, but the humidity increases and the heat becomes sweltering. Sometimes, however, it can get very hot even in summer, in the pauses between the rainy periods. Between October and November, after the rains, the temperature rises again, especially in inland areas.

International Phone Code

+220

Internet Code

.gm

Some Facts about The Gambia

GET IN TOUCH

© 2023 by Going Places. Proudly created with Wix.com